Sunday, January 31, 2010

Saved the Best for Last

Mike and I celebrated our birthdays early today. Griffin and Christina took us to eat at 5 Guys, one of Mike's favorite burger places. The food was good, and the company better. I love spending time with my special guys.

Day 31 Influential People:
  Mike Cummings and I have been married 30 years. He is the most generous person I have ever known. When Griffin was young, Mike worked 3 jobs so I could be a stay-at-home mom. He drove a jeep without a heater to work in the winter so I would have a warm car to drive in case I wanted to go somewhere. Often he gave his lunch money to Griffin so he could get a treat after school. Mike has bought Griffin and me more toys than we ever deserved.
  I am proud of Mike. He is resourceful, courageous, and intelligent. He has the ability to fix anything, and it is usually something I have broken. More than once he has fixed flat tires for me without fussing or suggesting I call TripleA. He does the grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, and makes sure my car has gas.
 Mike has always been supportive of me. When I wanted to go back to school to be a counselor he said, 'go for it'. He said the same thing when I decided to sell Mary Kay. He even made deliveries for me. When I wanted to attempt the state's Career Ladder process, he typed many pages for me while I prepared for evaluation visits. The day I came home from work upset, he said 'quit', and I did. It was a good decision.
  Mike accepts me as I am. It has never mattered if I wore a size 9 or an XL. When I told Mike I had been sexually abused as a child, he told me it didn't matter to him. (I had waited to tell him until we went fishing at Percy Priest. I was thinking he wouldn't throw me overboard, but was concerned he might take me to the bank and leave me...he did neither).
  I have had more surgeries than I care to count, and Mike has been a great nurse during all of them. There were about 7 years before one of my surgeries when I could have easily given Lizzie Borden a run for her money. Once a month I was awful to live with, and Mike never knew if he would find June Cleaver or Lizzie when he came home from work. Poor Griffin suffered from my wrath also. When I wore Depends after the botched surgery and later had a catheter strapped to my leg Mike reassured me of my femininity.
  Mike has driven me all over the South looking for scrapbook stores. He has waited patiently while I shopped and always said, 'buy what you want', as I got out of the car. He has accepted my tendency to adopt a new craft...cross-stitch, smocking, sewing, scrapbooking, card making, photography, etc.....
  Those of you who know me or have learned more about me through my blog know there have been several times in my life when I was homeless...at 12 when our house burned, at 13 when I became an orphan, and during my college years. Mike knows that my greatest fear is of being homeless. We have a nice home that is paid for. Thanks to Mike's hard work I have a place where I belong.

   I cannot finish this 60 Influential People without mentioning Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior. Putting Him last, instead of first, may seem to be in poor taste; however, I believe He can be seen in the people I have mentioned. There have been so many kind, generous, caring, supportive people in my life. It was never an accident.
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

7 comments:

cabio's craft corner said...

That's so sweet Linda. He is such a Mr. Right and I am so glad you found him :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

Ann said...

Well, I'm sitting here crying. You definitely saved the best for last! I've really enjoyed reading about your 60 inluential people.

Brenda said...

Well, knowing you as I do, I knew you saved the best for last, and you sure proved me right. I was sitting here with tears running down my face as I read your wonderful recollections of your marriage and life with Mike. What a true blessing you two are to have each other. You deserve the wonderful things he has done for you and, as well, he deserves to have a wonderful woman like you in his life. Have a wonderful 60th birthday and many more wonderful years ahead of you!!!!!

A Bookshelf Monstrosity said...

A most appropriate tribute to Mr. Mike. Might I also add a few great things?

~Mr. Mike is the best whistler known to man. When it was time to come in for supper, Griffin and I could hear the dinner whistle call from any point in the neighborhood.

~He's really fun to talk books with.

~He always has a rockin moustache!

Kathy Saltalamachia said...

I have enjoyed so much reading of your most influential people. Yes, the last day was so special -- about Mike and Jesus. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

Unknown said...

Had a wonderful time with you guys!!

Anonymous said...

You have True Love Linda! You are a great writer...thanks for sharing!
Pam Going Postal