Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Homemade Treats


   Today I am sharing a family favorite recipe that is served at every gathering. Polly, my half-sister, started making them when I was in high school. When our son, Griffin, was in high school I made them for the church youth group. He still says they didn't care if he went on the youth group trips or not just as long as I sent Scotcheroos. lol That's not true, but those kids did like to eat.
   I made a batch today to leave in the mailbox for our carrier. She provides great mail service. I also left a small container of candy for her little one. The tags on the containers were made using stamps from Purple Onion Designs.
     http://www.purpleoniondesigns.com/


Here is the Scotcheroo recipe:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
Combine sugar and syrup in a 3 qt. saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut better. Mix well. Add Rice Krispies, stir until well blended. Press mixture into buttered 9x13 inch pan.
Icing:
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
Melt chips together. I do this in the microwave. On the original recipe from the 1960's the double boiler method was recommended. lol  Stir until well blended. Spread evenly over Rice Krispies mixture. Cool until firm. Yields 48 2x1 inch rectangles.






I know all of you are busy with last minute preparations just like me. Hope you have a good day! Linda

No comments: